[mythtv-users] Mytharchive mysteries

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 22:56:01 UTC 2010

I am wanting to use mytharchive to create some dvd backups, playable
as dvd's on a stb player. I have done this before on a combined fe/be
system, some versions ago. I now have a split backend and two
frontends, the backend being under the stairs.

I am confused about whether this passage in the wiki is still accurate:

"MythArchive is only guaranteed to work on combined frontend/backends.
If you have MythArchive installed on a frontend-only machine it will
not archive the video files stored on the backend, unless the
recordings/video files folder is shared using NFS or CIFS (Samba) "
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythArchive

When the 0.24 release notes say:

"MythArchive
Bug Fixes
    * Fix adding MythVideo files when the file is stored in a storage
group [24878] "

I would have thought that if mytharchive now supports storage groups,
that it might have worked from a remote front end. However when adding
recordings in mytharchive on the remote frontend I get "Either you
don't have any recordings or no recordings are available locally"

I really don't feel like either sitting in the cupboard to set up the
archiving, it's a little hot and claustrophobic at this time of year,
nor mounting all my backend storage groups to matching directories on
the frontend, (wasn't storage groups supposed to remove the need for
this?)

What is the best way forward?

By the way I am on mythbuntu 10.04 with mythbuntu repos enabled,
version of all myth packages is 24.0+fixes.20101210.df2d58b