[mythtv-users] install Myth on an off-the-shelf system

dargllun dargllun at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 10 18:30:39 UTC 2010

Am 10.12.2010 09:26, schrieb okcancel:
> I need to *remotely* help a non-technical relative setup Myth.
> He will follow basic instructions like point, click, type,
> connect keyboard, mouse, network cable, coax cable, etc.

May I ask what exact added value your relative is looking for? I mean
over a standard HD recorder / PVR box you can buy anywhere?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all pro MythTV (obviously) but I've been asking
myself a couple of times why I still bother... The answer is of course
that it's just one of my hobbies. I just like the tuning (no pun
intended) and puzzling, upgrading, breaking and getting them up again.
But these are technical, geeky reasons. I believe the main benefit of
MythTV recognized by non-technical people would be the commercial
skipping function. And maybe the fan-art. But all in all, I'd still
wonder if it was worth it. How does the system perform over a longer
uptime? How do you handle upgrades (system and mythtv)?

I'm sorry if this sounds too negative or even heretical to you or
others. Also, I'm happy for all success stories we could read here, hats
off to all of you. I also know that if you just leave a running system
alone, it's probably pretty stable. (I know I shouldn't be upgrading
constantly on all fronts.) I'm not saying it is impossible, but I
somehow doubt it's worth the trouble and time.

Anyway I'm curious about other opinions and definitely all success
stories yet to come.

Cheers
greg