[mythtv-users] install Myth on an off-the-shelf system

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Dec 10 15:40:31 UTC 2010

On Friday, December 10, 2010 08:06:55 am jedi wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 07:18:56AM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
> > On Friday, December 10, 2010 01:26:26 am okcancel wrote:
> > > I need to *remotely* help a non-technical relative setup Myth.
> > > He will follow basic instructions like point, click, type,
> > > connect keyboard, mouse, network cable, coax cable, etc.
> > >
> > > But he cannot replace memory, hard disk, etc.
> > > Once the basic system is up and running, I can login via ssh and
> > > vnc and do the rest.
> > >
> > > To begin, we are looking for a Myth system that:
> > > *  Can be ordered online.
> > > *  Can be used out-of-the WITHOUT adding any more memory, disk,
> > > video, etc. *  Video port can be VGA or HDMI.
> > > *  DVD or CD is not required, should be bootable via USB.
> > > *  No tuner will be installed.
> > > *  Will connect to a HDHomeRun on the LAN. (So HD channels.)
> > > *  A remote control is not required.
> > > *  Has a small footprint, preferably.
> > > *  If more disk space is required later, we can add a USB drive.
> > >
> > > In other words, the hardware should be good-to-go. Just add Myth.
> > >
> > > Can you recommend such a system (make/model) and the online
> > > vendor?
>
>     Yes. Definitely do a complete build of the system before
> delivering it.
>
> > Having done this myself, I would suggest you get the machine at
> > your home, set it up and then ship it to your relation.
> >
> > Myth is just too complex to set up in the way you described,
> > believe me, I have tried, even with highly technical people, it
> > just doesn't work.
> >
> > You might even do it in stages, such as sending him (I assume it's
> > a "him") the HDHR, and having him check it out using the graphical
> > tools Haupauge supplies, assuming he has a PC already.
> >
> > But I really think you're better off shipping a machine already set
> > up to him,  then doing any necessary tweaking remotely.
> >
> > I'm also assuming you're setting up a combo front/back-end.
>
>     This needs to be as simple as possible. It should be as close to
> a Tivo as you can get. Having multiple boxes is more complex. This
> sort of setup also depends on having a suitably good network. I am
> not even sure that the external tuner is really a good idea either.
> However, the HDHR is the least problematic tuner I've ever had.
>
>     "Less moving parts" is generally better.

One thing I discovered, new users do not know what to expect, what is
"right" and what is wrong.

If it is at all possible for your relation to visit you and see what a
working Myth system looks like, you should arrange such a visit, I
realize it may be expensive or impossible, but it would be very helpful
and save you a lot of grief.

Perhaps you could even use a camcorder to record the "Myth Experience"
for him.

It would be great if you both had the same sources (OTA, cable or
satellite), but it sounds like this is not the case. Getting sources set
up can be one of the less intuitive parts of a Myth install.

Just be sure to stock up on a lot of patience. My experience caused me
to get mad at a good friend of decades several times, it's hard to keep
one's cool when they make what is (to you) idiotic errors.