[mythtv-users] Interesting Reading: Windows Secrets reviews AppleTV and GoogleTV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Dec 9 20:55:02 UTC 2010

On Thursday, December 09, 2010 01:39:49 pm Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Dec 9, 2010, at 3:25 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
>
> > Watching directly on some of those game consoles requires extra
> > money to be paid to MS (X-Box Live), not something I'd do
> > willingly.
>
> Only Microsoft is extorting people to be able to watch netflix on
> their gaming console, ttbomk. I didn't pay a dime to be able to
> watch netflix on my ps3 or wii (or appletv or roku hd|xr).
>
> > And PlayOn is a LOT more than just Netflix

> > Lots of options, that's what life is all about. PlayOn gives me
> > more options, and more ways to use them, than any standalone
> > player or a computer alone.
>
> PlayOn makes no sense if you're talking netflix-only, but if
> you're after more options, it does actually look quite nice.

The ability to watch a TV channel from Britain, Russia, Spain, Portugal
et al as easily as you can tune a local station may add to global
understanding and awareness, as well as make people realize what crap
most US TV actually is.

Foreign stations may lead to improved language skills, something
Americans are notoriously bad at.

PlayOn plugins also make things like Academic Earth and Learning TV
available, hopefully leading to a better educated viewership, but I fear
most would rather watch "Dancing with the Politically-Connected
Adolescent Mothers".

I find the ability to watch a lecture from an Ivy-League professor at any
time to be not only enjoyable but educational as well.