[mythtv-users] Interesting Reading: Windows Secrets reviews AppleTV and GoogleTV

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Dec 9 19:30:22 UTC 2010

On Dec 9, 2010, at 2:10 PM, jedi wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 01:24:54PM -0500, Jarod Wilson wrote:

>>> Exactly.
>>>
>>> But you know we're going to end up a minority again as I think we are easily flushed out by the
>>> scads of Apple-ites... They will buy just cause it's got that logo on it.
>>
>> Or perhaps because its actually a very useful product to them?
>
>    I might have thought that myself before actually using one.
>
>    I don't think it would pass the "granny" test. Apple's UI mojo is very
> much overstated. This includes having streaming content associated to the
> PC it came from as well as the need to make sure you have iTunes running.

Having iTunes running doesn't seem overly burdensome to me, and if you
have both iTunes and the AppleTV set for Home Sharing, they find each
other automatically.

Configuration issues (or lack thereof in my case) aside, I find the
box itself to be quite useful and fun to play with. I can stream audio
and video to it wirelessly from my laptop and my iDevices, as well as
control it using just an iDevice. I find the netflix ui on it a bit
more polished than that on either my ps3 or roku hd|xr box, and I
definitely love the minimal power and space footprints.

--
Jarod Wilson, Apple whore
jarod at wilsonet.com