[mythtv-users] Interesting Reading: Windows Secrets reviews AppleTV and GoogleTV

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Dec 9 19:10:39 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 01:24:54PM -0500, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Dec 9, 2010, at 12:51 PM, Ben Kamen wrote:
>
> > On 12/9/2010 11:45 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
> >>
> >> What the article tells me is that neither an Apple TV or Google TV is
> >> what I want.
> >>
> >> PlayON provides much more, for much less, and of course is not even
> >> mentioned in the article.
> >>
> >> I'm not going to pay $0.99 for a TV show, nor am I going to accept
> >> something that's actively being fought by a major programming provider
> >> (GoogleTV and Hulu).
> >
> > Exactly.
> >
> > But you know we're going to end up a minority again as I think we are easily flushed out by the
> > scads of Apple-ites... They will buy just cause it's got that logo on it.
>
> Or perhaps because its actually a very useful product to them?

    I might have thought that myself before actually using one.

    I don't think it would pass the "granny" test. Apple's UI mojo is very
much overstated. This includes having streaming content associated to the
PC it came from as well as the need to make sure you have iTunes running.

    I caught myself on that snag myself just now.