[mythtv-users] Migrating to new master backend

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Dec 8 19:25:30 UTC 2010

  On 12/08/2010 02:15 PM, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
> On 10/10/10 19:36, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> Restore the backed-up database (
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore and
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Full_restore_of_a_specific_backup_file
>>
>> ) to the MySQL server on the new host. Then--before running any MythTV
>> applications at all--do
>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Change_the_hostname_of_a_MythTV_frontend_or_backend
>>

>> to change the hostname of the old backend to the hostname of the new
>> backend. Then, start up mythtv-setup and change the master backend IP
>> address in general settings.
>
> I have placed the above, plus a bit more, on the wiki here:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Backend_migration
>
> I finally got 'round to doing the migration today and was successful
> with the procedure I have now put up there.
>
> Thanks again.

Looks great.  Now, all we have to do is get Google to stop sending
people to the completely wrong blog post someone did like 6 years ago***
and send them to this page.  Then, over time, this page could grow to
cover all the "migrations" people do and provide whatever details/FAQ
are required.

Thanks,
Mike

*** and, of course, they didn't put a date anywhere on the page, and
they used a host name that makes it look official, when it's not--and
the approach they use is senselessly difficult and can corrupt DB data
(and even the schema in some situations).