[mythtv-users] Persistent link to newest version of a file on github?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Dec 8 17:31:30 UTC 2010

  On 12/08/2010 10:43 AM, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
> On 08/12/10 14:54, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>> I'm no git expert, but If you look at this page:
>>
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/master/mythtv/libs/libmyth/dbutil.cpp
>>

>> <https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/master/mythtv/libs/libmyth/dbutil.cpp>There
>>
>> is a link labelled "raw" that links to:
>>
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/raw/master/mythtv/libs/libmyth/dbutil.cpp
>>

>> Wouldn't that be the file itself and the most recent version?
>
> Thanks for that. It works, and I've successfully made the first
> updates on the wiki.
>
> However, I'm puzzled as to how you found this out. I had indeed also
> used the "raw" links before, but in my case these links contained the
> git commit ID in the location where your URL shows "master". Manually
> editing the URLs to replace the commit ID by "master" does seem to
> produce what looks like a persistent link to the current version though.

It all depends on how you go into github's viewer.  If you follow an
SHA1-based link to the tree (or to a specific file), you'll continue to
browse within that revision until you choose a different one.  If you
use the Switch Branches/Switch Tags buttons to choose the desired
branch/tag, you'll browse within that branch/tag.

Note that  the master blob/master links are for viewing and the
raw/master links are for downloading.

Thanks for updating the Database Backup and Restore page.  (It's perfect.)

Mike