[mythtv-users] MythBuntu 10.10 Lirc Issue

Ramin K ramin-list at badapple.net
Wed Dec 8 05:38:00 UTC 2010

On 12/7/2010 8:45 PM, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>> Yea Fedora seems to be further ahead of the curve then Ubuntu.
>
> Well, I have direct commit access to the Fedora kernel, and Fedora
> doesn't have as stringent a policy on what can go into a new kernel
> build for a released distro, which has both its plusses and its
> minuses. In this case, its a plus. I did submit patches to Canonical
> to get their kernel up to speed, but they won't apply them unless
> they're in an upstream stable tree, which doesn't work so hot when
> they took in 2.6.36 IR patches already for their 2.6.35 kernel...
> And so Ubuntu's kernel-provided IR stack is likely to be partly
> broken until 11.04 comes around. Might be an out-of-tree backports
> module that shows up at some point though.

For other Ubuntu users, don't think you can be sneaky and install
2.6.37-rc5 from
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.37-rc5-natty/ and get
these fixes. Jarod's patches still aren't there though it does get you
around the device 4903 issue.

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=drivers/media/video/hdpvr/hdpvr-core.c;h=b70d6afc9fecd7f0d7d382e6965ac02616988b7f;hb=cf7d7e5a1980d1116ee152d25dac382b112b9c17

Ramin