[mythtv-users] UDP Driver for LIRC???

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Dec 7 18:35:38 UTC 2010

Please pardon my ignorance, I'm not very well informed on LIRC, once I
got it working to suit me I pretty much ignored it, and my MyBlaster
does not need it.

But, on another list I follow there was a mention of a "UDP driver" for
LIRC. The posting implied there is some way for machines to receive IR
commands via ethernet.

Is this so? Would it be possible to have a remote control machines that
are out of optical range, but connected to the home network?

I don't mind doing some research, but I don't want to chase a wild
goose, I'd just like to know if this is possible, and thus I could
profitably pursue the matter.

The only solution to controlling distant machines I have thought of is
to use RF, but this looks like it could be a better (and cheaper)
solution.

Much thanks for any info.