[mythtv-users] Options for Backing up Myth data

David Knight dlknight at sdf.lonestar.org
Tue Dec 7 17:15:55 UTC 2010

Just to add my 2 cents (pennies) :)

I currently backup my mythconverg database using the user contributed
scripts once a week via crontab and after reading the wiki article -
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore

The backups from the crontab job get copied onto an NFS share on my
Openfiler file server. There is then a seperate job on the file server
which backs up my personal data (along with the mythconverg backups) to a
dropbox account on the internet. I sometimes supplement this backup by
copying the duplicity backup files to DVD.

I have also started backing up the entire root partition on my combined
backend / frontend to a USB Sony AIT1-Turbo tape device (40GB uncompressed
/ 104 GB compressed) (which I obtained cheaply from ebay) along with my
entire music FLAC & MP3 collection roughly once a month.

Tapes work out at about £5 each for new sealed tapes although I have seen
some sellers trying to get around £20 per tape.

Dave K