[mythtv-users] XvMC and libmpeg2 to be dropped in 0.25

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Dec 7 14:31:41 UTC 2010

On Monday, December 06, 2010 01:44:13 pm Michael T. Dean wrote:
>   On 12/06/2010 03:26 PM, Nick Rout wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 9:21 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> >> donate it to the local college ECSE department?
> >>
> >> in the end, you can always take it to an electronics recycler.
> >> Most towns collect this type of thing.
> >
> > yep. of course much of it will still work as a file or print server
> > too.
>
> Or as a MythTV backend.
>
> Dedicated backends don't need to be fast.  Only people who feel they
> need faster-than-real-time commercial detection or transcoding need
> fast backend systems (and, in truth, even they don't--they only need
> fast mythjobqueue systems, and can easily disable jobs on their slow
> backends).
>
> My backend system can't even decode the video it records in real
> time--let alone play it back using Xv or OpenGL or VDPAU.
>
> You only need frontends that have 21st-century video output.

The exception would be if you were using software encoding, but I
suspect not too many Myth users are doing this. ATSC and QAM signals are
already encoded, you just have to record the stream, and capture devices
with on-board mpeg2 encoding are pretty reasonably priced these days.

Of course simple frame grabbers are really cheap (as opposed to
"reasonably priced"), but you wind up paying in CPU cycles and
kilowatts.