[mythtv-users] XvMC and libmpeg2 to be dropped in 0.25

Eloy Paris peloy at chapus.net
Tue Dec 7 02:17:40 UTC 2010

Hi Nick,

On Tue, Dec 07, 2010 at 10:37:39AM +1300, Nick Rout wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 2:52 AM, Eloy Paris <peloy at chapus.net> wrote:
>
> > The XvMC migration has already started for some people -- Mythbuntu
> > disabled compile-time XvMC support in the latest auto-build
> > packages because of the number of crash reports that are apparently
> > attributed to XvMC. There was no heads up of this change in the
> > Mythbuntu packages because Mythbuntu developers assumed that there
> > are few users using XvMC. I found out that XvMC support was gone
> > when my frontend wouldn't playback anything.
>
> can you tell me at what point this occurred?

Sure; it happened at 1:0.24.0+fixes27305-0ubuntu1. Here's the changelog
entry for the change:

  * Disable XvMC as it's causing crashes.  VDPAU is better off in these
    situations anyhow (LP: #660833)

Are you affected by this too? I tried to make the case with Mythbuntu
developers that it is easier for someone experiencing crashes attributed
to XvMC to search the web and find the solution (use a playback profile
that doesn't use XvMC) than for someone that uses XvMC and binary
packages to set up a local auto-build infrastructure just to build
packages with XvMC support locally enabled. Unfortunately it doesn't
look like I succeeded :-(

Cheers,

Eloy Paris.-