[mythtv-users] 2 TB Hard Drive Recommendations

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Dec 7 00:26:02 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Ben Kamen" <bkamen at benjammin.net>
>
> On 12/5/2010 8:39 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> > And note that those fibre-channel drives are *SCSI-class* bubbles;
> > do not > let *anyone* tell you that SCSI drives are 6 times as expensive as
> > SATA *only* because of manufacturer quantity; that's crap -- the drives really
> > are built better. It may be anecdotal experience, but it's 25 years worth of
> > it.
>
> And speaking of Micropolis,
>
> I have a Micropolis 1GB drive downstairs that we got back when the 1GB
> size came in a SCSI or PATA-IDE variety at pretty much the same price.
> (I think the diff was like $20)...
>
> I really wish SCSI hadn't gone so high in price like it did or I'd
> have stuck with it.
> It seems to me these days that SCSI is way out there rather than just
> being worth a few extra bucks.

"pretty much the same price"?

I have never in my career seen a SCSI drive that didn't cost 4 to 6
times per MB/GB what the equivalent sized MFM/RLL/IDE/SATA drive did,
and I remember Micropolis, as well as the Tandon's, Miniscribes, Quantums
and Connors.

Where were you buying your drives?  :-)

(And here's a walk down memory lane, BTW: http://www.redhill.net.au/id.html)

Cheers,