[mythtv-users] Advice Needed: Best Solution for Bell, 9241, HD PVR --> MythTV?

Martin Lynch martin.lynch.toronto at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 21:38:37 UTC 2010

<snipped>
> How are you going to change channels on the Bell box?  I use firewire
> for that one a Shaw box in West Canada and it works well, though I have
> been thinking about going with Bell too.
> Are  you going IRBlaster to change channels?

That's what I've been trying to figure out - with the firewire it was
easy, as the firewire both changed the channels and carried the signal.
 From what I've been able to learn, I gather IRBlaster is the only way
to go with this STB. I'm going to get an HD-PVR, run component cables
from one STB to the HD-PVR, then run SVHS or AV from the other STB to
the PVR-350. I'll have the PVR-350 limited to SD channels, such that any
HD gets picked up via the HD-PVR. As I understand it, I should be able
to use one IRBlaster to control both STBs, and I further understand the
HD-PVR comes with an IRBlaster. Haven't tried IRBlasting before, and
frankly I don't much care for the idea, predicated as it is on very
accurate alignment of the blaster and the receiver (from what I've
researched, some people have described the sweet spot as very hard to
find). What happens when the IRBlaster needs to change both STBs
simultaneously?  I don't suppose the STB's USB port can be used for
channel changing, can it?

--

Kind regards,

Martin