[mythtv-users] XvMC and libmpeg2 to be dropped in 0.25

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at computer.org
Mon Dec 6 20:45:25 UTC 2010

On 06/12/10 21:21, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> Not to mention the fact that just throwing away hardware because the
>> newfanglest software can't be bothered to support it anymore isn't
>> exactly environmentally sound...
>
> For what its worth, you're throwing away your old inefficient Pentium
> 4s, Athlons, and Athlon XPs for machines that idle at well under half
> the power consumption. It has been mentioned several times in this list,
> but Toms Hardware has an article detailing a high end i5, fully capable
> of decoding any video you may record or purchase for MythTV in software
> without any acceleration, that idles for under 25W. For people who leave
> their machines on all the time, you're _helping_ the environment.

Well in my case I'd be throwing away Via C7-based machines, which
already consume next to nothing.

But to be clear: I was trying to wryly give two messages in one:

- a software project dropping support for older hardware is going to
result in hardware being scrapped for reasons that are difficult to
defend from an environmental perspective.

- having said that, in the end it's the user of the above-mentioned
software doing the scrapping, and they do still have the option of
sticking with whatever version of the software still works with their
hardware.