[mythtv-users] XvMC and libmpeg2 to be dropped in 0.25

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Dec 6 20:44:13 UTC 2010

  On 12/06/2010 03:26 PM, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 9:21 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:
>> donate it to the local college ECSE department?
>>
>> in the end, you can always take it to an electronics recycler. Most
>> towns collect this type of thing.
> yep. of course much of it will still work as a file or print server too.

Or as a MythTV backend.

Dedicated backends don't need to be fast.  Only people who feel they
need faster-than-real-time commercial detection or transcoding need fast
backend systems (and, in truth, even they don't--they only need fast
mythjobqueue systems, and can easily disable jobs on their slow backends).

My backend system can't even decode the video it records in real
time--let alone play it back using Xv or OpenGL or VDPAU.

You only need frontends that have 21st-century video output.

Mike