[mythtv-users] 2 TB Hard Drive Recommendations

Jeff Walther trag at io.com
Mon Dec 6 18:12:19 UTC 2010

> Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 16:22:45 -0500
> From: John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com>

> BTW,  if you asked me what to recommend 2 weeks ago I would have said
> samsung F4 but with the firmware fiasco I can not recommend these. I
> would however recommend hitachi drives, not from my own experience but
> others seem to have less trouble with these.

Well, darn.  I just bought two of those hoping to finally setup my first
Myth box this holiday season.

2.5 years ago I anticipated having time one week in the summer to set it
up and bought all my components (but planned to use hicap PATA drives I
had on hand with SATA=>PATA adapters).   Now, it looks like I might have
time this holiday season with the rest of the family going out of town, so
I figured I should switch my plans to some of the new SATA drives.  There
are an awful lot of trouble reports for the 5900RPM Seagates, so I bought
the Samsungs.

Yes, I've been reading this list for 2.5 years without yet setting up a
Myth system.   Sigh.  The hardware just sits there and looks at me,
getting more obsolete by the day...

Jeff Walther