[mythtv-users] 2 TB Hard Drive Recommendations

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 16:12:41 UTC 2010

On 6 December 2010 15:57, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> [...]
:)

To be fair most consumer grade HDs are probably appropriate for home
use, even if you use a couple of them.

Tapes are expensive, and have storage requirements beyond what most
home people will bother to do, and the drives require care and
attention beyond what a lot of home machines will receive.

(I used a second hand DDS drive for a while, but the dust eventually
killed it, rendering any backups I had using it redundant, and for a
consumer level backup, expensive to recover if I'd've needed to.)

It all depends on how much you value your data I suppose.

Although this is wandering off topic a bit now, I use Bacula
(www.bacula.org) for my home backups (to another HD I'm afraid), and
although it's a bit of a faf to set up it does work well, and has
saved my bacon a few times. (Mind you I only backup important stuff,
not TV, or any of my media, I trust that to a RAID (which I know isn't
a backup, but should help guard against hardware failures a bit.))

> It's not a backup unless you can make 2 of them, and carry one off site.

Amen to that.

[snip]

Cheers,

Ian