[mythtv-users] 2 TB Hard Drive Recommendations

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Dec 6 15:57:40 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Brian Wood" <beww at beww.org>
> On Monday, December 06, 2010 08:24:22 am Dean Collins wrote:
> > So what are you using to back up your data?
> >
> > For me with my thecus it's not tv that's the problem.
> >
> > I've started to worry about the amount I have to backup
> > (emails/ppt's/downloads/photos etc - it's all adding up).
>
> I'm using DLT tape, but I don't suggest that solution for most home
> users. I got a "deal" on the drives, and I have a source for media
> that uses the tapes for just a few passes and tosses them, I convinced them
> to "toss" them my way.

If it's not on tape, it's not backed up.  Spinning magnetic storage is
not a backup.  Consumer-grade spinning optical storage is not a backup.

It's not a backup unless you can make 2 of them, and carry one off site.

I've been a system administrator for 25 years; trust me on this.  :-)

> DLT drives are also SCSI, at least any that I've seen, which most home
> users don't have any more.

They all are, yes.

> Other than more hard drives, I don't know of any really practical home
> backup solution today. Consumer tape devices have a long and not very
> pretty history, from the ones that hung on the floppy controller, to
> the parallel port units, to a very few scsi units. None were really
> practical in terms of cost or capacity.

Well, the Fujitsu Eagles weren't too bad, but at 5GB per tape... nah.

> Consumer computer makers are pushing (fake) RAID these days, which may
> be why so many people are using it in the wrong way. Except for the
> online services, I don't see any backup solutions being offered to
> consumers today. Those online solutions are OK for a lot of home
> users, but when you start talking about a lot of HD video it's a different
> story.

This seems like a good time to link to my piece: "What is the bandwidth
of a fully laden 747F?"

http://baylink.pitas.com/#747F

Cheers,
-- jra