[mythtv-users] Analog multi-channel sound, optimal configuration 0.24?

Terjesen Jens Peder Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com
Mon Dec 6 14:25:39 UTC 2010

Hi again.

Current status:

Scanned for audio device, selected ALSA:surround51:CARD=Audigy2,DEV=0

Found an old PC subwoofer/loudspeaker set that I connected to the subwoofer output on the surround receiver.
speakertest with 6 channels and playing wav files produces sound on all speakers except the subwoofer. I then found out how to make speakertest generate a certain frequency tone to test with, and setting this to say 30 Hz I get sound on the subwoofer, front and rear speakers. The center speaker is probably unable to reproduce such a low frequency.

After this I tried playing some recorded TV and some DVDs with MythTV and get sound from all speakers.

Current problem:

When trying to play ripped CDs with Mythmusic the frontend crashed with reason "Floating point exception". In the terminal window I started the frontend from I saw a message that 2 channels of sound was an illegal value fior the sound device.
I restarted the frontend an under Setup->Music->General I found a checkbox for upconverting to 5.1 and checked this. Now the frontend does not crash when playing music but there is no sound and I get the following in the terminal:
Opening audio device surround51:CARD=Audigy2,DEV=0 ch 6(2) sr 48000 sf signed 16 bit reenc 0
mmap not available, attempting to fall back to slow writes

Anyone know how to solve this?

I use the latest MythTV packages from PackMan.

Jens