[mythtv-users] 2 TB Hard Drive Recommendations

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Mon Dec 6 10:41:40 UTC 2010

On 6 Dec 2010, at 10:32, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> Hi
>
> On 6 December 2010 13:11, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>> So let me see: You have to be able to read data from the platters in
>> order to be able to read the data from the platters that tells the unit
>> how to read data from the platters.
>>
>> Nah, nothing wrong with that system design.
>
> as you pointed out, there is *no* way whatsoever that you would put
> the firmware on the platter. It just doesn't make any sense
> whatsoever.

Is it really any different to how a PC and just about any device with a hard drive boots, no-one puts the OS in ROM anymore!

> So sure where you heard that, but I seriously doubt its true

I'm sure it's possible to have one track that's low density and readable without all the clever trickery usually used, then a minimal firmware bootstrap loader that knows only this track could load up the full firmware. Sounds like a common practice, should be ok provided the bootstrap loader knows how to re-write the firmware track!

With the amazingly low prices these drives sell at I wouldn't be surprised at that level of penny pinching.