[mythtv-users] 2 TB Hard Drive Recommendations

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Dec 6 02:39:43 UTC 2010

---- Original Message -----
> From: mike at grounded.net
> > So sure they are under warranty, but really it's pretty poor from
> > seagate. I was very happy with seagate in the past.
>
> Which makes me think I should add something to my input of earlier,
> that the majority of drives I'm using are under 500GB, mainly fibre
> channel as well. I've only used six TB drives to take and of that one,
> a Seagate went bad right from the start.
>
> I've also read that big drives are known to be troublesome. I don't
> dare use them for tier1 storage but for raid5 low access storage, no
> big deal.

I too have been having quite a bit of problems with Seagate drives, all the
way back to the 400GB AS series drives; they seem to have a problem where
they get a bad spot, and after power on, the drive is Just Fine *until you
try to touch that bad spot* -- you can read in front of it, you can read
behind it.... but once you try to read *it*, the drive goes offline.

*Completely* offline: it no longer even appears on the bus *even after a
warm boot*, until you power cycle the drive.

We've gone to a Hitachi 2TB for the latest drive, we'll see how that works
out.

I'm thinking drives have just gotten too big and too cheap.

And note that those fibre-channel drives are *SCSI-class* bubbles; do not
let *anyone* tell you that SCSI drives are 6 times as expensive as SATA *only*
because of manufacturer quantity; that's crap -- the drives really are built
better.  It may be anecdotal experience, but it's 25 years worth of it.

Cheers,
-- jra