[mythtv-users] XvMC and libmpeg2 to be dropped in 0.25

Eloy Paris peloy at chapus.net
Mon Dec 6 02:33:15 UTC 2010

On Sun, Dec 05, 2010 at 11:16:32AM -0500, Raymond Wagner wrote:

> On 12/5/2010 08:52, Eloy Paris wrote:
> >- Buy a PCI card that can do VDPAU. Cons: any negative downside to using
> >a PCI card to play HD? Based on the VDPAU in the wiki it seems like it
> >works. This seems like the best option I have right now.
>
> If you're playing content usable through VDPAU, you're only going to
> be sending a few MB/s, not a problem for PCI.  The other UI bits are
> not active enough to cause any problems wither.  Any HD content that
> can't be played through VDPAU will likely require too much bandwidth
> to realistically be used.

Thanks for the insight.

Newegg has a NVIDA 8400-based PCI card for less than $40. That's what I
am thinking of buying. The only problem I see with this card is that it
has 256 MBytes of RAM. Would this amount of RAM be a deal breaker and
it'd be better to go with another card that has 512 MBytes of RAM?

Cheers,

Eloy Paris.-