[mythtv-users] channels/DVB card go missing

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 02:12:04 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 2:58 PM, mike at grounded.net <mike at grounded.net> wrote:
>> is it possible that your backend is starting before the kernel has
>> finished loading the modules for your tuner cards? It then can't see
>> them and things wil break. The kludgy trick is to set a few seconds
>> delay in the backend startup script. sleep 10 pauses for 10 seconds.
>
> I don't believe so since I can see the cards registered, firmware loaded when I check dmesg. Unless that's not enough of a test to know 100%?

But that doesn't tell you whether they were fully started before
mythbackend started. If they are not then you need to restart
mythbackend, the backend will not deal with cards that were not fully
initialised and running before mythbackend started.

try restarting mythbackend once the system is up and has settled for,
say 30-60 seconds. If the cards then work right, this is your
explanation.

>> the other alternative theory is that the cards get swapped on startup.
>> sometimes modules get loaded in a different order and what was
>> /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 on one boot will become
>> /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0 next time. You need to look at udev rules
>> to keep them consistent.
>
> I wondered about this also and have checked. They are always the same when the system reboots but since there's an error once they go missing, I can't tell in the mythtv-setup gui at least.

when the card goes awol, is the /dev/dvb/adaptor* entry still there?

Is there any indication of a driver crash in dmesg? or any other of
the system logs?