[mythtv-users] XvMC and libmpeg2 to be dropped in 0.25

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 23:59:12 UTC 2010

Hi

On 6 December 2010 07:50, Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
> This cuts off anyone using a laptop with an Intel video chipset. For quite a
> while ( versions 2.5 through 2.8) XvMC was turned off. In 2.9.1 it works
> reaonably making my 1.8Ghz X-61tablet a reasonable myth platform.
>
> I would hate to lose that. And Lenovo does seem to make laptops with nvidia
> chipsets and Lenovo is the only maker offering the trackpoint. A Venn
> diagram of nvidia and trackpoint has no intersection!

Intel has OpenGL support, so not having Xv isn't an issue..

I personally never used XvMC on any of my mythtv frontend.

Several years ago, I had a 1.8GHz P4 machine, I put a nVidia 6500 card
in there at the time this card was the recommended one for mythtv. Got
it specifically for XvMC.

Turned out to look aweful, OSD was in black&white and as the P4 would
decode mpeg2 without any problems, there was no reasons to keep trying
to use XvMC.
At the most, for 1080i mpeg2, using the kernel 2X deinterlacer, the
CPU would sit at around 80%. For SD, it would be 15-20%

If you have a processor > 500MHz, for SD content I don't see why you
would want to use XvMC.