[mythtv-users] XvMC and libmpeg2 to be dropped in 0.25

Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Dec 5 20:50:56 UTC 2010

Sent from my iPhone

On 2010-12-05, at 11:28, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:

> On 12/5/2010 09:33, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>> I agree that VDPAU (and similar) and OpenGL are the way forward for
>> HD
>> content, but Xv and XvMC are still perfectly good for SD content.
>> For example, I have a small TV in the Kitchen. There is no sensible
>> reason for me to purchase a HD capable STB when the TV is only 17
>> inches and has no HDMI connector.
>
> It has nothing to do with the content it is usable with, and
> everything to do with the direction we want to take the presentation
> of MythTV.  Xv has no OSD support to speak of.  Any overlays must be
> rendered to the size of the video, converted to YUV, and baked into
> the video.  XvMC has OSD support, but it is very primitive, and ends
> up being more limiting than Xv.  The fact that XvMC has been
> unnecessary for any desktop processor made in the past five years,
> and $25 gets you a video card plenty capable of handling the OpenGL
> painter, has just made the decision an easier one.

This cuts off anyone using a laptop with an Intel video chipset. For
quite a while ( versions 2.5 through 2.8) XvMC was turned off. In
2.9.1 it works reaonably making my 1.8Ghz X-61tablet a reasonable myth
platform.

I would hate to lose that. And Lenovo does seem to make laptops with
nvidia chipsets and Lenovo is the only maker offering the trackpoint.
A Venn diagram of nvidia and trackpoint has no intersection!
Geoff