[mythtv-users] XvMC and libmpeg2 to be dropped in 0.25

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Dec 5 20:09:55 UTC 2010

On Sunday, December 05, 2010 01:00:26 pm Juhani Rautiainen wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Dec 2010, Brian Wood wrote:
> > Of course they were using highly-optimized code for the DVD player,
> > so it might be better to say that 750 Mhz. is required to decode
> > SD mpeg2 in software. Myth does more than just play the file, so
> > it would need a little more than just decoding would require.
>
> I'm using ffmpeg decoding in playback and it consumes 25-30% of
> Pentium-M running at 800 MHz (which can scale up to 1.73 GHz). Even
> when recording with one channel with DVB-C and doing simultaneous
> playback and commercial detection it seldom went over 800 MHz in
> 0.23-fixes. With 0.24-fixes CPU goes to 1.73 GHz and commercial
> detection ends almost same time as recording.

A good datapoint, thanks.

> > Of course h264 is an entirely different story.
>
> My machine can't handle this at all. That's why I'm looking passive
> single slot VPDAU card. But atleast in Finland they are hard to
> find:(.

If by "single slot" you mean "doesn't block the adjacent slot" you may
have problems. Most (make that every) fanless VDPAU card I have seen
will block the adjacent slot to some degree.

I have an  EVGA 8400GS card with a fan that can barely be heard (just
put it into service last night in fact), I have also seen some
replacement GPU fans on the market that might be quieter than some
standard ones.