[mythtv-users] XvMC and libmpeg2 to be dropped in 0.25

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Dec 5 19:43:48 UTC 2010

On Sunday, December 05, 2010 12:26:57 pm BP wrote:

> A cheap Atom based computer should be able to decode SD content
> without GPU assistance.  How old is your hardware in that it cannot
> decode SD content with the CPU?  Even seven years ago when I was
> running .11 I didn't require XvMC for any SD content.  I think I was
> using an Athlon XP 2500 at that time.

As a datapoint, Dell stopped putting hardware mpeg decoders in their
DVD-equipped laptops at the time their CPUs hit 500Mhz.

Of course they were using highly-optimized code for the DVD player, so
it might be better to say that 750 Mhz. is required to decode SD mpeg2
in software. Myth does more than just play the file, so it would need a
little more than just decoding would require.

So anything you can buy now, or even 5-7 years ago, should be able to
cope with SD mpeg2 decoding by the CPU.

Of course h264 is an entirely different story.