[mythtv-users] HD-PVR failure

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Dec 5 18:16:31 UTC 2010

On Sunday, December 05, 2010 10:58:01 am James Orr wrote:

> Sorry, I read your post again and you said minimum of 3A, I was
> looking for 2A because that's what my existing power supply says.
>
> I did find this 3A one:  http://amzn.com/B002S2O51I - it only has 1
> bad review though, the 2.5A might be better.
>
> Here's a pic of my power supply:
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1194298/IMG_20101205_125555.jpg

Hmmm, Mine says "Nebit" and definitely says 3A. Otherwise it looks very
similar.

I don't know how much current the unit actually draws, but I always try
to get something with more current than the stated requirement if I can.

But the suggestion to contact Hauppauge is probably a good idea.

Of course we don't know the problem is with the power supply, I only
mentioned that because it is a fairly common fault.

It would be easy to test if you had a spare 5V supply in your junk
drawer, but you don't. (You may have a SO who prohibits "junk drawers",
in my case it's more like a "junk garage").

I really hate to suggest buying a replacement power brick from somewhere
like Radio Shack, and returning it if it turns out to not be the
problem, but that is a possibility.

The ubiquitous USB type power supplies are generally rated at less than
an amp (USB port spec is 500ma.), so they won't help you.