[mythtv-users] 5.1 surround sound and two mixer controls

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 12:52:11 UTC 2010

Hi

On 5 December 2010 22:30, Achim Hofmann <news at achim-hofmann.com> wrote:

> Because MythTV setup woun't let you set these new output device and
> mixer control, you'll have to set them directly in the database by hand:

course you can !

Just type the value instead of selecting one of the pre-populated device.

> update `mythconverg`.`settings` set data='ALSA:softvol' where
> value='AudioOutputDevice';
> update `mythconverg`.`settings` set data='SoftVol' where
> value='MixerControl';
>
> All other audio settings are the same as described in my initial mail.
>
> Now my remote makes use of the new SoftVol mixer control which is
> responsible for all six channels.

BTW, you would have achieved the same result by selecting
ALSA:surround51 for the output device
and in the mixer you select "software"

Then it's just a matter of setting all the mixer to maximum level in
the alsamixer application

JY