[mythtv-users] Future-proofing my disc archiving (audio-wise)

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Sat Dec 4 18:38:39 UTC 2010

On 4 Dec 2010, at 17:03, Phil Bridges wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
>> On 12/4/2010 11:11, Phil Bridges wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a few HD-DVDs that I need to back up soon, for fear that my
>>> HD-DVD player will soon die.  I'm trying to figure out what audio
>>> format to use, though.
>>
>> Just concatenate the two EVOBs together, and store that.  Problem solved.

Seconded.

> I guess I should mention that I will be doing compression on the video

But it's already compressed ;-)

I'm doing the HDDVD ripping thing right now too, mostly because I'd like to investigate playing them at 24p which my basic player can't do.

I understand that myth can already handle all the audio formats that are used on HDDVD, you have a GTX460 card so LPCM or bit streamed is an option for you. For the other "lesser" frontends myth can downmix to stereo or maybe even re-encode as ac3, sounds like problem solved to me, just don't buy a Samsung F4 to store them on...

I recently realised that it's cheaper to buy a disk to store all my DVDs on than to buy some shelves to store them on!

As to future proof, a BBC archivist once said to me "the only future proof format is uncompressed".