[mythtv-users] WARNING: Samsung F4 owners / warning. Disable smartmontools

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 16:42:51 UTC 2010

> Oh great, another HDD vendor off my list.
>
> I figure if a vendor would let something like this slip by there's no
> telling what else they have missed.

This is a little frustrating to me since I have 3 of them. I actually
saw the problem 2 months ago when running badblocks on one of my
drives. I thought it was a kernel or hardware problem because it only
happened on 1 of my two machines the overclocked one with the older
kernel. Since I am busy and the 4 pass badblocks takes 25+ hours I did
not reach any conclusion. I am a little relieved now that it was not
just me and that the problem is much easier to reproduce now. However
I do have nearly 2TB of my mythtv recordings on one of these drives.
Hopefully there is no lost data. I have removed any automatic smart
checks but I am worried that kde or gnome or some other part of the
system will try to identify the drive. Disabling the cache seems to
fix the issue but it makes the drive write very slow at least for the
test in the smartmontools page for this issue.

John