[mythtv-users] Future-proofing my disc archiving (audio-wise)

Phil Bridges gravityhammer at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 16:11:03 UTC 2010

I have a few HD-DVDs that I need to back up soon, for fear that my
HD-DVD player will soon die.  I'm trying to figure out what audio
format to use, though.

Currently, I have three ION-based frontends connected to their
displays via HDMI (although one of them may be changed to analog
output to a separate amp).  I also have a beefier frontend with a
GTX-460 that is connected to a receiver via HDMI (the receiver can
handle HD audio).

My question is this - what audio format should I be using that all of
my frontends can (and will be able to) use, while making sure I have
the best audio possible for my receiver?  Should multi-channel FLAC
work (based off the DTS-HD or TrueHD track), or should I plan on
including multiple audio tracks?