[mythtv-users] [mythtv] ANNOUNCEMENT: MythTV is moving to Github

E. Westbrook mythtv-users at westbrook.com
Sat Dec 4 08:56:21 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 10:07, Gavin Hurlbut <gjhurlbu at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 8:49 AM, Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com> wrote:
> > +SOURCE_VERSION=$(git --no-pager log -1 --format="%h" 2>/dev/null ||
>
> Not what we plan on using anyways.  This is on the list to fix today,
> so just relax, people :)

May I kindly request a "heads up" when you guys feel this is done and ready
for general consumption.

I prematurely started working on updating my distro packaging scripts
yesterday, then backed out after the github repo was recreated (and the
mythweb subtree "poofed" out from under me, lol).  So I figured I'd wait for
things to stabilize.

It would be fantastic to know when you guys feel it has mostly settled -- or
has it already yet?

Also, what will become the "proper" way to refer to past (formerly HEAD)
commits on branches like the fixes/0.24 branch?  I would suspect that the
SVN "changeset" notation is going away in lieu of git nomenclature, yes?

In my previous scripts, I numbered my package revisions like "0.24.27396",
and I'm looking forward to determining what minimal but precise numbering
scheme I'll use now, as well as how I'll retrieve source snapshots for
each.  The old system's ability to get a source tree zip file just by
specifying the changeset number in a specially-crafted URL was fantastic,
although it's certainly easy enough to emulate that locally with git
scripting if need be.

Not trying to push anyone... I'm sure this stuff is already being (or
already has been) thought about... I'm just eager to know the details and
get to work on this end.

Standing by patiently for more info.

Thanks!
EW