[mythtv-users] Can't get audio to work on frontend

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 03:47:34 UTC 2010

Hi

On 3 December 2010 11:14, Bobby Gill <brownitus at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm, not sure what you're specifically asking here? I am using stereo audio
> in Myth, yes, because I record analog cable (still have it here in Canada
> lol) with 2 PVR-150's, old school I remain ;) I do use 5.1 with HD videos
> though, outside of Myth of course (ie., mplayer -ao alsa:device=plug:dmix6
> -channels 6). With Myth I use the plug:default which upmixes stereo to all
> speakers, become quite accustomed to that over the years I suppose.

so you are using 5.1 audio out, earlier you said you were using an
analog TV only, which I assume has stereo only.

The problem with your current solution, is that in myth you do not get
real 5.1 audio when you play 5.1 content. You do get sound on all
speakers but that's not discrete audio.

If you set myth to use ALSA:dmix6 , set the speakers as 5.1

You should get audio even if other applications are running, but
you'll get proper 5.1 audio when needs be, and properly upmixed
(similar to DTS-ES) stereo to 5.1 audio