[mythtv-users] Can't get audio to work on frontend

Bobby Gill brownitus at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 00:14:35 UTC 2010

> ?
>
> you are using a stereo output, what is there to upmix?
>
> your asound.conf downmix, not upmix.
>
> And myth will properly downmix all content from surround sound to
> stereo no worries (and do so better than your asound.conf would)
>
> If you want to use surround sound, select ALSA:surround51 or
> something, and set your audio speakers in myth as 5.1

Ah, excellent. And I was using the term mixing incorrectly I think; I was
referring to applications using sound simultaneously, which now *whew*
works...

> > This resulted in no sound and output of:
> >
> > 2010-12-02 18:43:38.685 Current MythTV Schema Version (DBSchemaVer): 1264
> > 2010-12-02 18:43:39.890 ALSA, Error: No playback configurations
> available:
> > Invalid argument
> > 2010-12-02 18:43:39.890 Audio device ALSA:plugequal isn't usable Check
> audio
> > configuration
> > 2010-12-02 18:43:40.228 Registering Internal as a media playback plugin.
>
> you're missing some logs there, and use -v audio

Oops, next output I shall!

> > Ha, I just realized what I did wrong! Such a putz am I. I had just
> > reinstalled Arch and copied over my asound.conf from backup, but checking
> > the Arch wiki for ALSA I saw a section with equalizer here:
> > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Alsa#System-Wide_Equalizer  and so
> > added that to try, and just realized that that was interfering with my
> > default as you mentioned I had more than one, which I never did before. I
> > simply commented out the equalizer plugs and voila, all is back to normal
> > now. I am using ALSA:Default in myth as before and just tested: .mkv
> w/5.1,
> > mpd and firefox flash play simultaneously exactly as before. Yeesh!
>
> i thought that would be the case ...
>
> But earlier you said you were using stereo audio to an analog TV... so
> what's the go with downmixing like you do ?

Hmm, not sure what you're specifically asking here? I am using stereo audio
in Myth, yes, because I record analog cable (still have it here in Canada
lol) with 2 PVR-150's, old school I remain ;) I do use 5.1 with HD videos
though, outside of Myth of course (ie., mplayer -ao alsa:device=plug:dmix6
-channels 6). With Myth I use the plug:default which upmixes stereo to all
speakers, become quite accustomed to that over the years I suppose.

> > I am curious though, how could I retain usage of that equalizer without
> it
> > interfering with the rest of my asound.conf? (If possible). I wouldn't
> mind
> > giving Pulseaudio a try as well, but just for the sake of current setup
> > that'd be neat to have the equalizer working as well if I can.
>
> you can do all that with pulse, and even application not pulse aware
> would work too...

Okay, I will save it for when I get pulse setup then.

Thanks very much
Bobby