[mythtv-users] Time Warner: MythTV channel scan differs from Silicon Dust listings

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Dec 2 22:14:40 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 1:35 PM, Dan Wilga
<mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu> wrote:
> On 12/2/10 1:25 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
>>
>> I'm setting up a house-wide MythTV system for my parents. I've got the
>> backend set up and built, it's QAM tuner is connected to the cable
>> line and I've run a channel scan but the freqid's found don't
>> completely correspond to the listings shown on the silicon dust site,
>> http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/lineup_web/US:90045#sidebyside
>>
>> is this more likely due to silicon dusts listing being out of date or
>> a channel scan issue within Myth?
>>

> It could be either. The listings on SD's site work by receiving data from
> the HDHR's of individual users. The data and screen shots are sent during
> periods of inactivity on the HDHR.
>
> Because of this, the listings are dependent upon someone in your area having
> a HDHR hooked to the same provider as you. If they aren't using the exact
> same provider, or if they subscribe to different channels, the listing will
> be out of whack. If they stop using the HDHR, the listings won't get
> updated.

I've never gotten a scan that exactly matched the Silicon Dust
listings on the web.  It's usually close, but there's always something
in a different spot or another channel here or a missing channel
there.

It's not just that the listings are out of date, because they do
change frequently and you can sometimes tell from the screen shots
approximately when the data was collected, and they're usually in the
very recent history, but it's my suspicion that geographic regional
differences in channel tables don't match precisely with zip code
boundaries.

Up to date and accurate channel frequency tables is something I wish
Schedules Direct was able to supply.

Eric