[mythtv-users] Hard disk performance

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 21:35:59 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Clay <ctmythtv at pacbell.net> wrote:
> aaron wrote:

>> (I was sold on moving everything to ext4 right up until the first time
>> my Ubuntu system did its forced fsck ... not really something I want
>> happening on a Myth box that wakes itself up right before recordings
>> start...)
>>
>> aaron
>
> [...drifting OT]
>
> My 10.04 install boots to a black screen.
> No terminals, nothing.
> Drove me bonkers until I figured out it was doing a fsck and, because of my
> nuking nouveau and shoddy install of the Nvidia binaries, it stays black for
> 30 minutes or so until fsck completes.
> Fortunately it's a slave so I just go beat the dog or walk the wife until it
> finishes.
> The master hasn't been restarted 30 times so no fsck, yet.
> (Note to self: need to find a hole in the recording schedule to force fsck,
> so I don't get hung out to dry.)

It is due to the *Ubuntu awesome init replacement* shutting down
prematurely.  They do not seem to care about issues like this though -
just making sure that cheap hardware boots in under 60 seconds...  I
personally prefer watching the boot messages go by (IN ORDER)...  But
hey - the linux web only userbase is soooo big (HAHA), it is really
needed...  I mean, I know I woul dwant to go postal if my laptop did
not have a pretty graphic while it booted and took 73 seconds to
complete..  And this KMS shit that someone thought was useful - WOW -
all I can say..  Let's move something into the kernel with all the
potential to completely lock up the machine so we can have some pretty
boot graphics...  When X is finally replaced, I hope someone with some
gumption gets this right...  Not some dumbass who has an *idea* to
replace init (AGAIN) with something that speeds up by a miniscule
number with 0 benefits..

/rant over