[mythtv-users] Hard disk performance

Josu Lazkano josu.lazkano at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 21:02:49 UTC 2010

Hello, I just configure one XFS partition:

1. Install software:
apt-get install xfsprogs xfsdump

2. Format:
mkfs.xfs -l size=64m -d agcount=4 -i attr=2,maxpct=5 -L mythfs /dev/sdb1

3. Create mount directory:
mkdir /mnt/myth

4. Mounting the XFS filesystem with high performance options: (/etc/fstab)
/dev/sdb1 /mnt/myth xfs noatime,nodiratime,allocsize=512m      0       0

5. Mount::
mount -a

I configured on the backend to store all recordings (default) and
livetv on this partition. I will try the week.

Is it well configured?

Thanks and regards.

2010/12/2 John <reidjr at lineone.net>:
> On 02/12/10 20:41, Alex Tomlins wrote:
>>
>> On 02/12/10 20:32, aaron wrote:

>>> I have been a big fan of XFS ever since SGI made the first public code
>>> drop way back. I was frustrated with the length of time it took for
>>> ext2 to recover after a system crash/hang, and the periodic forced
>>> fsck during bootup. For those reasons I skipped over ext3 entirely and
>>> haven't heard many good things about its performance.
>>>
>>> But recently I've tried ext4 and I am reasonably impressed with the
>>> performance. I installed Ubuntu 10.04 on my laptop and used XFS. I
>>> figured that Ubuntu had abandoned the "30 second bootup" that they
>>> were so proud of in the past... until I hosed my system and
>>> reinstalled and decided to try ext4.... and wow, the system boots
>>> really fast, and overall the performance does feel faster than with
>>> XFS (much to my amazement)
>>>
>>> Ext4 still has the very frustrating forced fsck every so often, though
>>> (I'm not sure what the default setting is... I think maybe every 20
>>> mounts?).
>>>
>>> (I was sold on moving everything to ext4 right up until the first time
>>> my Ubuntu system did its forced fsck ... not really something I want
>>> happening on a Myth box that wakes itself up right before recordings
>>> start...)
>>>
>>> aaron
>>
>> Have a look at tune2fs (part of the standard ext2 toolset).  It will let
>> you set things like how often a full fsck is run, and even disable the
>> automatic fsck runs.
>>
>> Alex
>>
> was just going to post :
>
> # tune2fs -c 0 -i 0 /dev/hdXY