[mythtv-users] Hard disk performance

Josu Lazkano josu.lazkano at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 20:13:11 UTC 2010

Hello list! I just buy a 2TB hard disk. I actually have a 160GB drive
with EXT3 and it works great.

I read this wiki page:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Optimizing_Performance#Local_File_Systems

It looks interesting on how to performance file system. I want to use
the 2TB disk to record all TV recordings and to store all music
(120GB) and videos (70GB) to play on MythTV.

I normally use to format on EXT3, but the wiki recommends to format on
XFS. The idea is to use the 160GB to boot drive and download p2p
media, and the 2TB drive to store all media and recording.

I have some questions:

1. Is it a good idea to store music, videos and recording on one XFS
partition? Different partition for different media?
2. Which is the best way to format XFS on Debian?
3. Is a good idea to use hdparm with XFS? I use hdparm to power down disk.

I appreciate any help and suggestions.

Thanks and regards.

--
Josu Lazkano