[mythtv-users] XvMC and libmpeg2 to be dropped in 0.25

dargllun dargllun at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 2 19:18:13 UTC 2010

Am 02.12.2010 20:05, schrieb Robert McNamara:
> We'd like to warn users that we are planning to drop XvMC and libmpeg2

Thanks for these heads up.

> N.B At some point in time, beyond 0.25, we'd like to drop XVideo
> support in favour of OpenGL rendering. There will be more on that
> subject when we have finalised our plans. Rest assured that we are
> considering embedded platforms and work on supporting OpenGL ES is
> already underway.

Let's hope that by that time the OSS radeon OpenGL support has improved.
Currently, on r600 radeon hw, there is no alternative to using Xv. It
yields excellent performance, and completely stutter-free and tear-free
rendering. OSS OpenGL is not as good. As I said, let's hope this changes
so there can be a smooth transition.