[mythtv-users] ANNOUNCEMENT: MythTV is moving to Github

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 09:36:35 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 10:14 PM, Glenn Sommer <glemsom at gmail.com> wrote:
> For identifying versions, I guess we'll have to use something like
> branch at commit (like fixes/0.24 at 70622b2ab69455aaa451)
> Will this replace the version string in the mythtv components too ?
> (like mythtv-setup --version)

more likely to use the output of git describe.  However, we haven't
settled on this yet.  For the SHA1, you only need about the first 6 or
7 digits in any case.  git describe would get you something like:
  v0.24-100-g84903ab  (I made that one up)
This corresponds to:  from tag v0.24, 100 commits after that tag, and
the last commit is SHA1 84903ab

This requires useful tags though, so we may end up with something else
as our current tags are not too useful for this (they are on the
branches, and we didn't tag at the branch points.)