[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun PRIME

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 04:56:32 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 8:53 PM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:

> I just skimmed the older threads in question, and I got the impression
> there is a correspondence between firewire recordable channel and
> cable card "copy freely" channels. Is this not correct? I'd love to
> get cablecard support, but if there is literally no way to know the
> level of support availabe without first blindly buying a HDHR Prime,
> than that's unfortunate.

That correlation is loose at best.  Some posit that firewire capture =
copy freely, but they are governed by different policies entirely on
the headend and while this would be generally good policy, my
experience from having worked in a headend is that making this kind of
logical leap is bound to be wrong in real-life scenarios.  Hopefully
SD will produce usable info regarding what to expect on a per-locale
basis.

Robert