[mythtv-users] Transcodes Getting Stuck

Scott & Nicole Harris snharris99 at live.com
Wed Dec 1 00:09:54 UTC 2010

I have had a few instances now, where transcode jobs get stuck and would run presumably forever.  Oddly, the last 3 times have all been with the same program (different episodes, obviously) and the progress seems to get stuck in almost the exact same spot, around 35%-38%.

Aside from the decidedly negative effect of this causing everything else in the queue to take a permanent hiatus until this job is stopped, it also has the nasty effect of filling up the backend log with line after line of this...

2010-11-30 18:29:55.710 Couldn't open file abort.dat
2010-11-30 18:29:55.718 Failed to decode frame.  Position was: 0

I have had two occasions where the jobs were set up just before going to bed for the night, and the jobs ran for 10 hours before I discovered them, and the backend log was in the 100’s of MBs.

The only way I have been able to stop these jobs is to go into a terminal, find the PID for mythtranscode and kill it.  Then find the .tmp file for the job and manually delete it.  Any attempts to pause it, stop it, etc from the Info Center are met with failure.

I only run lossless transcodes to remove commercial cuts.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?  More importantly, is there a better way to kill these jobs?

Thanks