No subject

Thu Aug 5 16:39:05 UTC 2010

save myself some headaches by forsaking the converter box (Zinwell
zat-970a) and just getting a capture card capable of tuning in these DTV
broadcasts--that because making myth operate the converter box could be a
real challenge, especially for someone with my modest technical abilities.
Yes, I've done nothing with LIRC or infrared or anything like that and am
content to interact with my myth box using a keyboard with a 12' extension
on it.

Let me start off by asking whether it's true that getting mythtv to
communicate with my converter box could be a real challenge? If so, the
following.

I try to stick with trailing edge hardware--as you'll note from the
hardware description I gave above. I'm sure there are all kinds of
wonderful new DTV-capable, mythtv-compatible capture cards that, in
addition to giving a crystal-clear HD picture, will even walk the dog, do
the dishes, and take out the garbage. And they're probably priced
somewhere at what people who drool over the latest-greatest hardware might
consider bargain prices. But I'm not too interested in that sort of thing:
it would just be overkill considering my other hardware--which includes an
old Dell Dimension 31" monitor that only does 800x600 resolution anyway
(no HDTV here for the foreseeable future).

No, I'd be more interested in a DTV-capable capture card that was
considered a decent card several years ago. And a used one would be even
better, since the price is likely to be lower. I've heard that the BBTI
air2pc card works under myth, and also read that the Dvico fusion HDTV5 RT
Gold might be a good way to go. But even while I'm looking for a good
bargain on one of those, I wanted to ask on this list for further
recommendations.

So, can anyone offer further recommendations for an older DTV tuner card
that plays well with myth and that will allow me to pick up the local OTA
broadcasts I'd like to record?

Thanks,
James

PS Yeah, any DTV tuner card I get will replace the BT878--with which I've
never been very happy.