No subject

Thu Aug 5 16:39:05 UTC 2010

  62 Moby Thesaurus words for "diatribe":
     abuse, address, after-dinner speech, allocution, assailing,
     assault, attack, berating, bitter words, blackening, chalk talk,
     contumely, debate, declamation, eulogy, execration, exhortation,
     filibuster, forensic, forensic address, formal speech,
     funeral oration, harangue, hard words, hortatory address,
     inaugural, inaugural address, invective, jawing, jeremiad,
     onslaught, oration, pep talk, peroration, philippic, pitch,
     prepared speech, prepared text, public speech, rating, reading,
     recital, recitation, revilement, sales talk, salutatory,
     salutatory address, say, screed, set speech, speech,
     speechification, speeching, talk, talkathon, tirade,
     tongue-lashing, valediction, valedictory, valedictory address,
     vilification, vituperation

> If you expect people to read everything you wrote, you will
> be massively disappointed when it's that many pages long.

i write for adults with some skill at comprehension.  not for children
with the attention span of a gnat.

> Especially when it follows you accusing the person who wrote a chunk
> of code of (you pick which):
> a) lying
> b) not knowing what he coded
> or
> c) just being plain wrong.

well, i explicity stated that he was wrong.  so that's obviously c.

> It rapidly eroded your credibility in my mind.

frankly i don't think i had any to start with. after all, i did commit
the crime of failing to grovel in any way, let alone sufficiently.

> I am glad there are those out there who are willing to give feedback.
> It is essential.

now here you ARE lying. maybe to yourself but definitely to me. feedback
is not wanted here. every attempt i've ever seen of someone giving
feedback (as opposed to grovelling) is attacked and dismissed as
ungrateful and insulting abuse by people like you.

> But when that feedback would take about 10 pages if printed out...
> it's likely to get skimmed over at best.  We are humans.

so what, i should just say something useless and stupid like "mythtv
doesn't work properly"? is that short enough for you?

you know, sometimes sentences really do need to be more than
monosyllabic grunts in order to convey any useful information. and
sometimes emails need to contain more than "me too!"

> > thank you for helping to prove one of my points by providing yet
> > another demonstration that any form of feedback or criticism on the
> > myth lists will be attacked, no matter how it is written.
>
> Baloney.

taken by itself, it might be. but it's just one more example in the
recurring pattern of attacking anyone providing any actual feedback on
this list.

> Long-winded (even if useful) posts are likely to get ignored.

if you had ignored it, that would have been a vast improvement over
attacking it.

> That's a problem I often fall into myself.  I'm sure Michael will find
> some time to read through all of that.  However, most of us won't.

well, isn't it a good thing that i wrote my reply to Michael and not to
you?

> > ps: you need to look up the word "diatribe" in a dictionary.
> > whatever it is that you *think* it means is wrong.
>
> Uh huh.  OK then, if you say so.  How about I substitute a synonym
> with slightly different connotations...  Harangue... as in a
> long-winded speech that has some elements of sermonizing... as that is
> how your message came across to me.

that would be because you see any real feedback (i.e. from someone who
isn't trying to shove their nose up your arse) as an insulting and
abusive personal attack.

as i've said before - learn to be less hypersensitive and defensive.

if the only comments you'll read are from brown-nosing Yes-men, you'll
never read any actually useful feedaback that might help to improve
things.

speaking of which, i've found one more problem with the new cutlist
editor - unlike the old editor, if you hold down the left or right arrow
key to move the cursor, it doesn't update the display until you let go
of the key, so you can't see whether you've moved to the right point
until after you stop moving.

that is a HUGE regression.

i'll post that in a separate message because it's likely to get lost
in all this time-wasting nonsense.

> > pps: apart from a bit of brown-nosing sycophantry, what was the
> > actual purpose of your reply? it didn't actually add anything, it
> > didn't even really say anything.
>
> Ummm.  OK...  Whatever you say.  BTW, I would think that a user
> calling one of the developers a "sycophant" on an open source
> project... is about as far from accurate as you are likely to get.

oh, woe is me! i failed to recognise your divine status. in that
case, your response wasn't sycophancy, it was an example of mythdev
hypersensitivity.

> If you want to get to the "throwing mud" stage... Nah, I won't play
> that game.

actually, you were the one who started that game by abusively dismissing
my feedback as just a long-winded diatribe. but go right ahead, feel
free to back off. your game is boring, and it's not what i'm here for.

> I suspect that you will find that your looooooong message added about
> as much to the general conversation as our pointless conversation
> since.  It was just too long for most people to digest.  You gotta cut
> up the food into bite-size chunks or people tend to choke on it.

i write for reasonably intelligent adults. i have no desire to write
like a 10 year old. or for 10 year olds either.

at least one person read it and understood what i was saying.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>