[mythtv-users] Ceton InfiniTV 4

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Aug 31 03:18:56 UTC 2010

On Monday, August 30, 2010 08:52:57 pm Phil Bridges wrote:

> I don't see what the massive difference is between using a satellite
> STB and a CATV STB.  Sure, with DirecTV you can control the box with a
> serial connection, but you can at least change channels on a lot of
> cable boxes with firewire.
>
> That said, there's no guarantee form either option that your component
> output is going to be active.  The post I was responding to wanted an
> output they could "can always record from."  No guarantee of that with
> cable or satellite; ergo, my response that the only guarantee of
> recording anything is to record the available channels they can get
> OTA.

Not so much a "massive difference" as a more consistent situation. Only a few situations to deal with, and a larger user
base. In a smaller market there may be only 2 or 3 Myth users.

You are more likely to find situation-specific help here for a DISH/DirectTV setup than if you are in a smallish CATV market
(more specifically, fed from a smallish headend).

Not better or worse, just more predictable. I am not advocating one or the other, especially as whether you get internet
or phone service from the cable company can greatly effect the cost of TV service. Too many variables to be able to call
one better.

Nothing is guaranteed, even OTA stations in small markets often have problems. The move to UHF caused TV transmitters to
be more expensive, power guzzling, complex and thus unreliable.