[mythtv-users] CableCard /M-Card cutoff what are remaining mythtv options?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Aug 30 18:43:26 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 12:32 PM, bhaskins <bhaskins at chartermi.net> wrote:
>> Please also understand that by using that card approach you may be totally
>> at
>> the mercy of your service provider.
[]
>> So , back to the subject line, what are the remaining ( mythtv options )?.
[]

> HD-PVR + component output from STB

You're pretty much at the mercy of your service provider with whatever
[legal] method you choose for recording.  There's no real guarantee
that component output will be available for the foreseeable future, so
you really need to add an HD Fury 2 in that chain if you want to
protect yourself.  All of that gear is very expensive in terms of
rental fees (STB), upfront costs (HD-PVR + HD Fury 2), and electricity
to do the needless DAD conversions.  Plus you lose closed captions in
the process, which is WAF-- in my case at least.

The HDHR Prime can't come soon enough.

Eric