[mythtv-users] Broadcom CrystalHD - again *I Know*

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 17:45:50 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:

> My *only* gripe about ION thus far is de-interlacing..  If these cards
> help, I will definitely slap them into the FEs and stop using the IONs
> in them..  Other than that (they will already go into the Revos I have
> deployed) - I am unsure of what benefit this device has over the
> existing Revos (other than dual core) which seems to be un-needed in
> this case..
>
> Thanks
>
> -Greg

 Hi Greg,

My understanding about the CrystalHD cards is that they do offer some
deinterlacing method (though I'm fairly certain we are not yet using it),
but on the upside, you can use any software or OpenGL deinterlacer you like
with the return since you can use any renderer you like-- so if you liked,
you could do CrystalHD decode, OpenGL display and deinterlace, or CHD
decode, VDPAU render and deinterlace, etc.  I am not sure that anything will
be gained or lost deinterlace-wise with the CrystalHD board, though-- I
think that deinterlace is largely a matter of taste so you'll have to see if
you like it.

Robert